Your role as a Candidate and as an Elected Official
Goals. Why do you want to serve as Council person? What abilities do you have to apply to leading a $1.1 billion municipal corporation?
I have experience and a proven track record in neighborhood and community development. I believe I am the only candidate that has actively been engaged in the process of working with city organizations that directly affect the quality of life for 4th district residents. I have lived in the 4th district, all of my life. I was born in the 4th District, I graduated from elementary school in the 4th district, I graduated from middle school in the 4th district, I graduated from high school in the 4th district and I attended college in the 4th district. To me the 4th district is the heart and soul of Kansas City, and I plan to represent this district as your personal agent at city hall. Let me tell you about the experience I bring:
- Close and direct involvement with the police department. I currently chair the Westside Community Action Network board. Community Action Network centers or CAN Centers are KCMO’s version of community policing. The CAN center model are assigned two KCMO police officers and one KCMO property maintenance code enforcement officer. At the Westside CAN center I have created partnerships with other business, social service and faith based organizations to reduce disorder, blight and crime and spur economic development. I have seen first hand how working closely with our police department and others on problem solving can reduce crime and stabilize neighborhoods. I will work with you in your neighborhood to address your issues.
- I served on the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA - City of Kansas City Missouri) for several years and heard several hundred of cases. That opportunity gave me broad incite from the perspective of developers, of city staff, of attorneys, and importantly the perspective of diverse neighborhoods. I will use this experience to assist your neighborhood as you look for opportunities to work through any issues regarding development.
- Zoning - I took a leadership position in my neighborhood to protect the our single family and affordable housing stock and to manage neighborhood development. In order for our neighborhood to preserve its unique character we downs zoned. Should your neighborhood face quality of life zoning issues, I will be there to walk you through the maze of bureaucracy that often accompanies the process.
- PIAC (Public Improvement Advisory Committee – this committee makes the determination of how millions of dollars are spent in neighborhoods). I have presented on behalf of the Sacred Heart Homes Association and the Tony Aguirre Community Center to this committee to obtain resources to enhance my community. I understand this process well, and as your council person, I would appoint a strong advocate to this committee to assure the 4th district receives its fair share of the money. It’s no secret that the 4th district pays huge amounts of property taxes, boulevard taxes, etc. I want to make sure you receive your share of city money.
- Kansas City Neighborhood Alliance - I serve and use this organization to collaborate with city wide neighborhood leaders to advocate for services for the entire city, paint program, dumpster program, additional code enforcement officers. This experience has provided me a valuable network of neighborhood leaders. I know and am very familiar with all of the 4th district leaders, and based on my participation in this organization, have a good understanding of the needs of 4th district neighborhoods.
- FOCUS Centers – The FOCUS plan was a citywide plan (Forging our Comprehensive Urban Strategies) that was developed to create a strategic plan for development in Kansas City. I have participated in the Westside FOCUS Plan, and through it have developed a strong working relationship with Parks and Recreation. Parks and Recreation is a very large and powerful organization within the city. I will use my outstanding relationship with this department to do what I can to assist all 4th district neighborhoods to receive any necessary attention to enhance their park facilities.
In closing, I am a Kansas City kid, born and bred in the 4th district. I love this district, - I delight in the unique character of each 4th district neighborhood. I acknowledge our common needs and goals as well as those issues specific to individual neighborhoods. I will use all of my city, community, development, and business experiences to represent you and your neighborhood, to make sure you receive your fair share of tax money and improvements. As a full-time council person, I will work tirelessly. I will not disappear after the election. We’re a team and I want to be your captain, so I ask for your vote on February 27th? Thank you.